October Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ccfbarb53 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Chris
    Keymaster

This month I bring you a wonderful photo from my good friend and talented photographer, Tony McDonnell. Such a creative photo, so get creative with this one. LOTS of directions you could go with this one. Have fun!

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Louise:

Cslimmon
    Participant

Where is the Gekko?

Chris
    Keymaster

From member Barb:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Laura:

Chris
    Keymaster

Some awesome paintings this month. And the winner is: Barb!

What makes this painting so striking and strong to me is first, the contrast. That black in the center is gorgeous; deep, deep and dark, but somehow still fresh-looking and rich. The sunlight flowers in front of it provide a contrast in values that just absolutely pops. Add to that the carefully controlled highlights in the leaves and the whole painting just sings. My favorite part of this painting, however is something more subtle; that leaf in the front that hangs down is glowing with an absolutely memzmerizing combination of a warm yellowish green on the left half, and a cooler, bluish green on the right half. If this had been painted as it was in the photo, without this cool, warm color combination, it would have been much less effective. Also notice the little sliver of bright highlight on the side of this leaf, adding more interest and adding to the sense of filtered light. This cool/warm duo draws the eye immediately and leads it right up to the flowers which have been altered from the photo and painted with hints of red, lavender, and orange. The red and orange here are complimentary to the surrounding greens and provide a striking color contrast that goes perfectly. Notice the tiny slivers of highlights and the tiny hints of darker shadows in the flower structures. This again adds more to the effect of bright light filtering down through other vegetation, and again adds interest and counterchange. This then leads the eye up to the gecko, and then beyond to explore the fabulously painted tonal and color variations in the leaves. This is a painting for framing. Way to go, Barb!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Chris.

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thank you, Chris! I appreciate and am honored to win this month! I think the photo was a great subject, and I worked hard on the values of lights and darks. I kept telling myself that this painting was all about the gorgeous lights illuminating the gecko and the flowers. Again I thank you for all your kind words! Just a question for you. I don’t see a November challenge…are you going to put one up? I really look forward to doing them even if I didn’t win or am ineligible to win.

melissa
      Participant

Barb that painting is fantastic

LauraMay
    Participant

Well done Barb.
    The colors are so clear and vibrant.
    C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thank you, Laura May! I appreciate so much that you took the time to comment and also your very kind words!

LouiseB
    Participant

WOW!!!!! That’s what I thought when I first saw your magnificent painting. It really is glorious. Congratulations!!!
    If it is OK to ask, would you please share what colors you used to get your greens?
    Congratulations again Barb👏👏👏👏

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thank you, Loiuise, your’s was pretty magnificent also! I appreciate your comments, though, very nice of you to do that!
    I hate to share my painting secrets (LOL), but with my fellow students, I’m happy too! For the blacks , I used Perylene Green and Perlene Maroon. I used P. Green alone, and mixed with yellow. We all know those palette colors, but I also have in my selection of greens, Windsor Green Yellow. I love using this color, and use it a lot in my other watercolor paintings, outside of this course. I also have Windsor Green Blue Shade, but I’m not sure if I used that one, I just love the vibrant colors from both these shades. Thanks again!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Chris, I assume that absolutely stunning photo of the gecko is not copyright free, correct?

Chris
    Keymaster

November challenge is posted now.

I’ll ask Tony about copyright.

cherylstewart
    Participant

Barb, Just one more congratulation. I see there is much to learn from the competitions and from Chris’s comments about the winning painting. I am just a beginner (working on chapter 4) but, am starting to be able to appreciate your work. You made a wonderful photo into even more wonderful watercolor. Thanks

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thanks, Cheryl! I appreciate all the kind words, and I want to encourage you or anyone else who thinks they can’t compete in these challenges, to try them! They pull you outside your comfort zone, and trust me, their have been many of them where I really struggled and produced a flop! At least in my opinion. No one judges you, but everyone encourages you, mostly Chris! I have learned so much from just trying, and it’s not really important to me if I win, I just love the challenge of trying something different! I want to see your name under one of those enteries of that beautiful sky challenge for November! Nobody can win back to back, yet I can’t wait to try doing the sky! Thanks again to everyone who congratulated me, but let’s see more of you beginners giving it a go!
    Barb

LouiseB
    Participant

Thank you for sharing your “green” secrets!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

You’re welcome!!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thanks, Melissa!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.