June Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  LouiseB 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Keymaster

Well, I just returned from a week long nature camp with 50 kids, and although I am exhausted, I got some great painting reference pics! This month the challenge is rocks. BIG rocks. This beauty is a formation we hiked to called “Music Rock”, named because it has holes in it that you can slap your palm on that make sounds at different pitches. My kids had a great time pounding out music on this rock. So think it through; how do you capture those beautiful crags and crevices, that massive solid structure? Have fun with this one!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Chris…is that all you could find on a week long nature hike? Rocks?….LOL, so much fun!

Chris
    Keymaster

From Barb:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member abornemc:

Cslimmon
    Participant

Rocks that Sing!

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Lynne:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Louise:

Chris
    Keymaster

And the winner for June is: Louise! Congratulations, Louise!

Here are my thoughts on this painting:

The first thing that strikes me about this painting is the feeling of MASS and WEIGHT of the rocks. You can really sense their massiveness and grandeur. The play of cool and warm colors within the rocks is absolutely mesmerizing. The large boulder on the left has been given more texture than the other rocks, making it seem as if you can almost touch and feel the folds and crevices, and at the same time making it a comfortable center of interest for the eye. The eye is then easily lead forward to the lighter rock in the foreground and the angle of this rock leads the eye to explore those wonderful warm and cool colors withing the rocks on the right. The texture and splatter on the front two rocks bring them forward just enough to set them apart from the mass behind them and give an extra layer of depth, but they still unify with everything as a whole. Overall, a brilliant piece and one for framing!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Chris.

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Congratulations, Louise! If anyone can paint rocks and make them look beautiful, you did! I loved your painting as soon as I saw it! Well deserved!

Cslimmon
    Participant

Brava Louise. I wonderful painting…you made the rocks sing!

LouiseB
    Participant

Chris
    Thank you. I am so honored and appreciate your comments. I learn so much from them too. I think you took an amazing photograph that didn’t need any change in composition. I used your lessons from the mountain, rocks, and wall. It’s such a good way for me to review. Honestly, your course and materials are like a treasure chest.

Thank you Barb and cslimmon (?Connie)… you have such unique styles and I love to see the way you interpret the photo.
    I finished course in Feb and would love to hear your ideas on what has been helpful to you.

July’s photo gives meaning to the word “challenge”!!!!!

Louise

Cslimmon
    Participant

Louise,

I’ve taken watercolor classes locally where you meet people with similar interests and get great encouragement and critiques. I also have a friend who likes me to go with her on plein air adventures to gardens and Florida nature trails.

I started watercolor painting with the help of Chris’ website and find I go back frequently to review his suggestions and techniques.

July looks impossible!

Connie

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Louise, I always pull from lessons we have learned for all challenges. This one , I used the advanced waterfall scene, which I messed up in the first place, but we did paint rocks, but they were in water, so..mine were colorless and uninteresting. I agree with Chris, you could frame yours. I’m taking my time in the course, and have even skipped some lessons, which I will go back to. I also will try to repaint ones that I missed the mark. I’m always re-painting things! LOL! I’m like those kids who go away to college and never seem to graduate! It’s worth it for me, because Chris helps me with more than his course, I’m learning how to make a composition of my paintings better, etc. Anyway…July’s challenge… I don’t remember any lesson that looked like that! I have some ideas, and when I have time, will play around with it. Again, Louise, well done and congratulations!

LouiseB
    Participant

Thank you Barb and Connie. I am going to try and attend a local gathering of painters that meet on Fridays near my home thanks to your suggestions…. all very intimidating

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.