December Monthly Challenge

Tagged: 

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  info@chitenco.com 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Chris
    Keymaster

Well, last month’s challenge was a very very large depth of field (zoomed way out). This month we are switching things up. We are switching to a very narrow depth of field (zoomed way in). In honor of those last fall leaves that are holding out for all they’ve got, here is a pic of some last beautiful fall colors. Do what you want with it. Get creative; express yourself, and most importantly, have fun!

psbayne
    Participant

Chris, this is my first submission to the Monthly Challenge. I hope drag & drop gets it to you.
    Pauline Bayne

/Users/bayne/Desktop/Bayne-12Dec2017.jpg

psbayne
    Participant

OK, Chris, I just found the instructions for uploading an image, so I put it on imgbb.com

Does that work? Pauline

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Chris.

Chris
      Keymaster

I fixed it for you and resized it for you, Pauline. =)

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Well, Chris…I researched urls and I succeeded in getting mine up! Now, How do you get it the right size? 🙂
    Barb

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Pauline, I love ❤️ your painting and your background! It’s just incredible!

psbayne
    Participant

Thanks, Barb!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Resized December Challenge

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Chris, I resized my entry! Can you delete old one? Thanks, Barb!

Chris
    Keymaster

Done!

cherylstewart
    Participant

Pauline and Barbara,
    Thank you for posting early so I can see what you have done.
    And WOW!
    Those are both so beautiful.

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Cheryl, thank you so much for your kind comments! I had to get mine done because I’m having surgery next week on my shoulder, but believe me, I’ll be watching and rooting all of you artists on! Merry Christmas 🎄 to all!

psbayne
    Participant

I love looking at the challenge entries and finally decided to give it a try. So thanks for the positive feedback, too. Happy Holidays!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Dear psbayne, that’s wonderful! It’s really a great learning experience and when Chris picks his winner, the way he describes what he felt made it stand out among the others is a free class by itself, where you can look at yours and say, “oh yea, I could have done that better”! There is no judging, everyone encourages each other! I can’t wait to see yours! Merry Christmas to you too!

Chris
    Keymaster

From member Cheryl

Cslimmon
    Participant

melissa
    Participant

They are all so beautiful. So much talent!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thanks, Melissa! How about you and everyone who entered last month? Let’s go out this year with a great turnout!

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Ina:

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I just saw Ina’s painting from my hospital bed! Ina, your painting is quite breathtaking as you combined the micro with the macro! What a creative idea! In only going to have the use of my left hand, while heal. You never really think about how both hand in tamden! I’de re is if I didn’t say that all your paintings are lovely and unique. Keep them coming!

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Janet M.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Chris.

Chris
    Keymaster

Happy new year, everyone! Some wonderful paintings this month with some very creative interpretations of our subject. This again was a very tough decision for me. After a lot of debate, the winner is: Ina!

The first thing that jumps out for me in this painting is what most others probably first noticed: how creative it is. But creativity alone doesn’t make a strong painting. What makes this creative interpretation so good are several things: First is the use of atmospheric perspective. By using bold colors, bold tones, and bold contrast in the foreground, slightly less bold statements in the middle ground, and soft subtle statements in the distance, we have a sense of extreme depth. You feel as if you could reach out and touch those leaves, and then walk forever beyond them into the rest of the painting. Second, the photo itself doesn’t offer a lot of obvious variety in the colors of the leaves. The color variations need to be exaggerated to make the leaves different enough to be interesting. That’s exactly what this painting did. Not only are the color variations exaggerated, but also the contrast of the highlighted veins, and the textures. All of this makes what could have been a rather boring passage instead a very exciting, interesting passage. Third is the gradation in color temperature from foreground to distance. I have taught again and again in the course that atmospheric perspective says that colors generally get cooler as they go into the distance. Here, this has been pushed to the extreme for a powerful effect. The intense, warm colors of the leaves in the foreground give way to slightly cooler, but still warm colors in the middle ground, and then suddenly in the distance we have very cool colors. These distant cool colors, combined with the abundance of white paper, and soft shapes create a feeling of winter; bareness, cold. It is this contrast in MOOD that makes this painting so strong. It literally evokes the feeling of winter taking hold, and the last remnants of autumn giving way. Atmospheric perspective is SO powerful I can’t overstate it. Here it has created not only depth, but also emotion and mood. A brilliant painting!

info@chitenco.com
      Participant

Chirs, Barb, and Cheryl, thank you for your support and feedback! It was so exciting to work on December’s picture! Monthly challenges are an excellent opportunity to put together everything learned so far and try to make it work. It’s like a travel – you enjoy the process, the aftertaste, and the memories.
      I am so happy that you liked the picture!

cherylstewart
    Participant

Ina, congratulations – your painting is beautiful. I love it. And, thank you Chris for the explanation of what makes it so wonderful. These monthly challenges teach me oodles, plus we get to see all of these creative people’s work and interpretations. Thank you.

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Congratulations, Ina! Totally agree with Chris, your painting is brilliant! Well done! Happy New Year to Chris and to all member’a of Watercolortutor.com!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.