August Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ccfbarb53 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Keymaster

How about going to the tropics this summer? This picture is from my trip to Kauai. Be creative with this one: maybe change the colors of the sunset, maybe change the trees from a silhouette to back-lit color, maybe change nothing; do whatever you want! Just have fun!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Chris.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Chris.

LouiseB
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    What do you mean by “back-lit” trees?
    Thank you,
    Louise

Chris
    Keymaster

Where they would be very dark, but not a silouhette (still having color, just very, very dark colors) often lighter near the edges of the shapes or having large areas of dark and light tones with very little medium tone.

Example: http://static.squarespace.com/static/53486416e4b0531dce75ef83/53596582e4b0a6e97609164a/535965a4e4b0a6e976093014/1309358594000/Backlit_FallTree_Zion.jpg?format=original

LouiseB
    Participant

Thank you Chris!
    Louise

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Lynne:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Barb:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Gulay:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Bill:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Annette:

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Chris.

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Donna:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Stephen:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Connie:

Chris
    Keymaster

From member, Louise:

Chris
    Keymaster

What a great turn out for the challenge this month! This challenge was almost the polar opposite of last month. Because of the silhouettes, low light, and few objects, there was very little detail to capture. It was all about capturing atmosphere and feeling. When I looked at the paintings to decide the winner, the main question I asked was: “Which one captures the mood and feeling of a tropical beach at sunset?”

After much debate, I finally decided that Barb’s was the winner. Notice that this painting is probably the most divergent from the photo. Once again proving that a painting does NOT need to look like the reference photo. The things that stand out to me in this painting are hard to put into words, because they are not technical things. First, the exaggerated saturated colors work brilliantly here. They are striking at first, capturing your attention, yet they still create a sense of calm, quiet, and reflection; just like you would feel at sunset. The color choices also brilliantly convey the feeling of the tropics, of Hawaii. The reflections on the ocean are almost abstract in their technical shapes, but they hold together just enough to convey, without any doubt that it is a soft, brilliant sunset glow on the water. There are some extremely vibrant, powerful colors here; violets, maroons, scarlets, oranges, warm yellows, deep blues. All of those intense colors are very hard to make harmonize and not feel chaotic, but here they all work beautifully together, creating a sense of warmth, peace, and solitude. You can almost smell the ocean and hear the waves. Overall, a unique, striking, atmospheric, evocative painting!

ccfbarb53
    Participant

Thank you, Chris! This time I didn’t have an expected outcome in mind, and I just had fun with it. I’m kind of shocked because as usual, mine is different from the rest. I appreciate all those nice things you had to say and especially about the colors. The one thing I wanted was to have a dramatic sky, with colors abounding, because I’ve been to Hawaii and I’ve seen some of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen! Thank you, again …I feel so undeserving among so many beatiful paintings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.